Burelu is a traditional dish made in Andhra Pradesh during auspicious occasions, festivals. Though it is typically made using chana dal, you can make its savoury variation by using black gram/urad dal. Tofu Carrot Coconut Burelu brings around an interesting change when it comes to this dish. One of the most healthiest variation of this dish, through Tofu Carrot Coconut Burelu, you get a chance to savour all the healthy ingredients such as tofu, carrot, coconut, urad dal, raw rice, all in one bite.
As jaggery is also used for making Tofu Carrot Coconut Burelu, it has a pleasant sweet cum savoury taste which I am sure everyone in your family would love to savour with piping hot Adrak Wali Chai.
Do read its recipe and make Tofu Carrot Coconut Burelu whenever you are looking to make something new and different!
Tofu Carrot Coconut Burelu
- For the outer Covering
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Black gram dal/Urad dal - ½ cup
- Salt - a pinch,
- Sugar powder - 2 tbsp
- Water - to prepare the batter
- For the filling/stuffing
- Tofu - 2 cups
- Grated and roasted coconut - ¼ cup
- Grated and roasted carrot - ¼ cup
- Cardamom powder - ½ tsp
- Grated Jaggery - 1 and ½ cup
- Oil - for deep frying
- Water - 1 cup
- Soak the raw rice and black gram in water for 4 hours.
- Drain the water and grind the rice and black gram along with salt to form a smooth textured batter like dosa batter.
- Now add sugar powder to this, mix it well and keep aside.
- For the filling - Take the tofu and wash it properly.
- Drain the water completely from the tofu.
- Then mash it.
- Take a heavy weighted vessel.
- Add a cup of water and heat it on high flame.
- Then add grated jaggery and stir it well over medium flame until a string consistency is formed.
- To this add drained and mashed tofu, coconut, carrot, cardamom powder and mix well till a thick mix is formed.
- Switch off the flame.
- Transfer this mixture into a plate and make balls of this filling to form burelu.
- Let it cool for sometime.
- In the meanwhile, heat oil on medium flame for deep frying.
- Take the dumplings one by one and dip them in the batter so as to coat.
- Carefully drop these in the oil.
- Fry them on both sides until they turn golden brown and are crispy.
- Now take the fried burelu using a slotted ladle and place them on an absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
- TIP - Drain water completely from the tofu while preparing the filling.
This recipe is a part of #WADiwali contest in association with Maharaja Whiteline.