Diwali is synonymous with happiness. And happiness is incomplete without a bowlful of desserts. Well, Khoya Gulab Jamun are a must make at my home, but one cannot eat more of them as they might just cost you some more weight, ha? So, ladies, worry not, because you can turn, these delish delights healthy by crafting Shakarkandi Ke Gulab Jamun instead, what say? Rolled up from soothing sweet potato, cardamom, and all things good, a pop of Shakarkandi Ke Gulab Jamun makes you feel less guilty for your sweet tooth! And at the same time they are so simple to make that you can instantly prepare them for this Diwali.
Oozing with syrup and the flavours of saffron, Shakarkandi Ke Gulab Jamun may permanently take a place on your food book. Bookmark its recipe right away.
Shakarkandi Ke Gulab Jamun
- Sweet Potato - 250 g
- All Purpose Flour / Maida - 2 tbsp
- Cardamom Powder - ½ tsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Sugar - 2-3 tbsp
- Ghee or Oil for deep frying - 2 cups
- For Sugar Syrup
- Water - 1 cup
- Sugar - 2 cups
- Rose Water - 2-3 drops
- Saffron - 4-5 strands
- Boil sweet potatoes, peel and mash them well with fork or with your hands.
- Collect mashed sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl and add all purpose flour and salt and mix well. Knead to make a soft and smooth dough.
- Now pinch a lemon sized ball from the dough, flatten it slightly and add around ¼ tsp of sugar in the center, close and roll to make a smooth ball.
- Similarly make 12-15 balls from the rest of the dough and keep aside.
- Meanwhile make the sugar syrup.
- Take sugar and water in a pan and boil till sugar dissolves.
- Add rose water and saffron into it and boil for another 4-5 mins.
- No need to make 1 string syrup.
- Collect the syrup in a separate bowl and keep aside.
- Heat ghee/oil in a wok and once the oil is hot, simmer the gas and carefully drop in the dough balls.
- Fry the jamuns till deep golden in color fro all sides.
- Collect the fried jamuns and drop them in the sugar syrup. and let them soak well.
- Serve hot/warm or cold.
This recipe is a part of #WADiwali contest in association with Maharaja Whiteline.