Before proceeding to the recipe I will want to make certain concepts clear for people who are and of course would be excited to make this.I would suggest you take a pen and paper and calculate the amount by weight of ingredients needed as the Swiss Roll Pan differs in quantity and size.
THE SWISS ROLL/JELLY ROLL PAN
You get specialised pans for Swiss Rolls which are sold as either Swiss Roll or Jelly Roll pans.They are rectangular with precisely neat edges for making a great Swiss Roll.
THE WHIPPED CREAM
In other countries we get Heavy whipping cream or Half and Half which gives us a super light texture when whipped.In India we get non dairy creams like Tropolite(which I used), Cool Whip from Dr Oetkar’s,Amul Whipping Cream or you can use a whipped cream powder like Blue Bird in which you combine it with milk and whip it to get the same texture.
THE ESSENCES AND COLOUR
It is purely optional to use essences and colour in this dessert but they will give more flavour and depth to the cake as well as the cream filling. I used three essences and one basic colour :
Mango and Vanilla Essence – for the Cake (It is primarily a Mango Cake but not adding the characteristic Vanilla essence will make any cake taste “incomplete”). However if you want you can omit the same!
Yellow edible food colour – for the cake
Pineapple Essence – for the cream
It is imperative to use powdered sugar as it dissolves easily and give a very light texture to the cake.Use icing sugar for the cream.
CREAM OF TARTAR
This is an ingredient used to thicken and aerate ingredients like egg whites or toppings.You can omit this altogether or use soda bicarb as a substitute. It is easily found in big stores, bakery stores or online.
PREPARING THE PAN
It is very essential to prepare the pan before baking the cake. Either butter or use a baking spray over the pan and cover with a sheet of Parchment paper to cover the whole pan. You may have to use 2 sheets if the pan is big like mine which was 10.5×15.5×1 inches deep.Ensure the paper sticks to the pan and is not loose anywhere as this will cause the cake to get baked very unevenly resulting in misshapen rolls.
Now butter or spray over the paper as well and sprinkle with flour ensuring the flour coats the paper evenly. Keep aside till required.
PREPARE THE CLOTH/MAT
We need to take out the cake on a clean kitchen cloth or mat – either bamboo or cloth for the first rolling. For this sprinkle a clean kitchen cloth or mat (bigger in size than the cake pan) with powdered sugar and lay it on a big table or on a clean floor till required.
Mango Swiss Roll with Pineapple Cream Filling
- For the Rolls:
- Self raising flour/cake flour/All purpose flour (maida) sifted with ½ tsp baking powder - ⅓ cup
- Cornflour/Cornstarch - 3 tbsp
- Large eggs - 2
- Large egg yolks - 3
- Large egg whites(separate the yolks and whites in individual bowls) - 3
- Sugar - ¾ cup plus 2 tbsp
- Preserved Mango Puree/freshly made puree from ripe mangoes - 2 tbsp
- Mango essence(optional) - 1 tsp
- Yellow colour(optional) - a pinch
- Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- Cream of tartar/1/4 tsp soda bicarb - ¼ tsp
- For the Pineapple cream filling :
- Heavy cream/non diary cream - ¼ cup
- Icing sugar - ½ cup
- Pineapple essence(optional) - 1-2 tsp
- Pineapple Jam mixed with 1 tbsp hot water - 2 tbsp
- Pineapple rings chopped into bits - 2
- For the Garnish :
- Pineapple ring chopped into triangles - 1
- Mango segments chopped into triangles
- Fresh Cherries to decorate (optional)
- FOR THE ROLLS
- Preparations beforehand :
- Prepare the Cake pan and keep aside. Preheat oven to 230°C.
- Prepare the cloth/mat as mentioned above.
- Chill the cream, beaters and bowl.
- Making the sponge :
- In a small bowl mix the flour and cornflour and whisk well to combine.
- Combine 3 eggs and 2 egg yolks in a bowl and whisk for 1-2 minutes.
- Add ¾ cup sugar and whisk till pale and three times the volume.
- Add the Mango and Vanilla essences and yellow colour and mix well.
- Now keep a sieve over the beaten eggs and sift the flour-cornflour mixture into it.
- Fold to combine both the mixtures(mix with an up and down motion with a spatula or mixing spoon.Do not mix too hard.)
- Take the 2 egg whites in another bowl and beat till foamy.
- Now add 2 tbsp sugar and beat till it stands in soft peaks.
- Now add the cream of Tartar/soda bicarb and beat till it forms stiff peaks.
- Fold this mixture into the egg-flour mixture and fold again very gently till combined.
- Pour into the prepared Jelly Roll Pan smoothing out the sides and spreading the mixture evenly across so that it adapts into the shape of the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 6-8 minutes till golden brown on the top and a skewer or toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- THE FIRST ROLLING
- After taking the cake out of the oven,immediately invert it on the prepared cloth/mat.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp powdered sugar on the top of the cake as well.
- Now put the overlapping cloth on the cake and roll the cake along with the cloth till the entire cloth covers the cake.
- Put the cloth-rolled cake on a plate or a board and leave to cool to room temperature.
- You can cool under a fan especially in places like India where it is too hot.
- Do not however keep it directly in front of a source like an air cooler or air conditioner.
- This should take approximately 1 hour.
- PREPARE THE FILLINGS
- The Jam Filling :
- Mix the Jam and hot water and beat till smooth and thick.Keep aside to cool to room temperature.
- The Pineapple Cream Filling :
- Take a bowl bigger than the one in which you beat the cream and fill with a mixture of ice and salt(freezing mixture).
- Put the chilled bowl in the middle of this and pour the cream inside.
- Add the icing sugar as well.
- Start whipping the cream and whip till it forms stiff peaks and stands on its own on the beaters.
- Now add the Pineapple bits and essence and fold gently.
- Chill the cream till the Swiss Roll is ready to assemble.
- ASSEMBLING THE ROLL
- After an hour test the rolled sponge.
- It should be at room temperature or cool 15 – 20 minutes more.
- Very gently open the cake with the cloth and lay it on a flat surface like a table or the floor.
- Do not remove the cloth.
- Spread the Jam generously over the cake and then spoon the cream in the middle of the sponge without spreading too much on to the sides.
- Once the cake is rolled up, the cream will evenly coat the sides as well.
- After spreading the cream in the middle of the cake, use the edge of the cloth to preroll the cake back so that now it resembles a Swiss Roll.
- Place the Roll gently on a plate and immediately refrigerate it so that the cake and cream firm up to give the classic Swiss Roll appearance.
- Refrigerate any left over cream as well.Chill for 20-25 minutes.
- While serving the cake either :
- Drizzle the top with powdered sugar and garnish with Mango and Pineapple pieces and whole Cherries.
- If you have left over cream(like I did),Spread a thin layer over the cake and decorate with Mango and Pineapple pieces and whole Cherries.
- Remember that this is a very delicate dessert and should always be kept refrigerated.
- This is a tedious process but it will earn you laurels and praise wherever you go!
You might also like