Moong Dal has a very homely taste, whenever I eat Moong Dal, my mind transports to remember my mother. She used to make various dishes for us from this Dal during our childhood. While her Achari Moong Dal is out of the world, when it comes to Khatti Moong, nobody can beat my mother. BTW, I have already mastered its recipe since years! Coming back to the point, Khatti Moong is an interesting accompaniment made by simmering moong dal in masalas and curd which makes it subtly spicy and pleasantly tangy. Though Khatti Moong is usually eaten with a hot plate of rice, you may go ahead and enjoy this tangy treat with phulkas as well.
Do make Khatti Moong if you want to perk up lunch or dinner. Here’s its sorted recipe:
- Moong dal (chilka wali ) – 1 cup
- Ginger paste- 1 tsp
- Dry red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Dry red chilli – 3 (whole)
- Yoghurt – ½ cup ( Sour )
- Besan – 1 tbsp
- Hing – 1 pinch
- Curry leaves - few
- Salt – to taste
- Refined oil - 2 tbsp
- Soak moong dal for 4 hours.
- Remove the outer skin by rubbing continuously under the running tap.
- Boil moong dal with 2 cups of water till tender.
- Make a mixture with yoghurt, besan, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and hing.
- Heat olive oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds, curry leaves, whole dry red chillies and ginger paste.
- Saute for 1 minute.
- Then add the yoghurt mixture.
- Stir for 2 minutes.
- Lastly add boiled moong dal.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Serve with hot rice.
This recipe is a part of #WADiwali contest in association with Maharaja Whiteline.