Double ka Meetha…So my culinary journey in Hyderabad was an exciting one, to say the least ! The 2 years we spent there, we haunted all the yummy eat outs that served vegetarian food. Working from home for a year also gave me the time to experiment in the kitchen ! One such yummy affairs was “Double ka meetha” as its popularly known in Hyderabad, I am not sure what its called otherwise, maybe bread pudding comes closest….
Here is the recipe !
Double ka Meetha
- Bread - 4-6 big slices (I buy fresh from the local bakery, rather than the packaged ones)
- Ghee - 1.5 cup
- Sugar - 1.5 cup
- Milk - Half litre
- Milkmaid - 2 table spoons (optional)
- Almonds, cashews, raisins: Handful each
- Boil the milk on low flame until reduced to half.
- Cut the bread slices diagonally and keep outside for 10 mins. (its actually good for the bread slices to be slightly dry).
- Prepare sugar syrup by adding 2 cups of water to the sugar and keeping it low flame until it turns into syrup. Cool the syrup.
- Heat the ghee in a pan and deep fry the bread slices.
- While the bread is still hot, dip the slices in the cooled down sugar syrup. Ensure the bread absorbs all the syrup.
- Now add the reduced milk on top of the slices and add 2 spoons of milkmaid (milkmaid is optional).
- Deep fry the dry fruits in left over ghee and add on top.
You might also like