My husband is an ardent fan of this Crispy Medu Vada. Whenever we are travelling, he orders this for tea. And our train journeys would be incomplete without this dish. So I decided to learn this recipe to perfection, and I believe I have done that. So here is how I make it.
Crispy Medu Vada
- Urad dal – 2 cups
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1
- Green chillis – 3
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Pepper corns – 1 tbsp
- Rice flour – 2 tbsp
- Water – as required
- Salt – as required
- Oil – for frying
- Soak urad dal in water for atleast 4 hours.
- Then grind in grinder (smallest jar) with minimum amount of water.
- Just sprinkle some water, do not pour.
- It should be a thick batter, otherwise it will absorb more water while frying.
- Then add Onion, chillies, ginger, curry leaves, pepper corns, and rice flour. Mix well.
- *Rice flour is added to make the vadas crispy.
- Add salt to taste and mix.
- Heat oil in a kadai, for deep frying.
- Apply little water in both your palms and take a ball of the batter.
- Spread it to a flat circle and make a hole at the centre.
- Now carefully drop it to the hot oil. Cook until both sides are done. It should turn golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place on tissue paper to drain off excess oil, if any.
- ** each time you make the vada shape, apply water to prevent batter from sticking.
- Hot and crispy vadas are ready..!!
You might also like