Mango Mint Relish…Yesterday afternoon I landed at the door of my best friend Pallavi’s house and she offered me a glass of chill greenish yellow drink. I gulped it down and it tasted really yum!! It had a sweet and sour taste and was the most relishing drink I‘ve ever had in summers. This is a healthy drink using mangoes to prevent heat stroke and quench our thirst.
Mangoes offer many health benefits. It yields high amount of vitamin C and extremely beneficial in treating blood disorders. I have chosen Alphonso mango “The king of fruits” as its nutritionally rich and superior in terms of sweetness and flavour. Alphonso mangoes are the most expensive and grown mainly in Maharashtra and Gujarat states of India. The unripe mango i.e Totapuri Mango used in the drink features a parrot –beak shape tip, smooth shiny and attractive green yellow or orange colors. Its pulp features a pleasant blend of sweet and tart taste.
Mint adds colour and fragrance to the drink. Mint is one herb which grows very easily in our balcony. I have planted a lot of mint and keep making many mint recipes like juices, chutneys, mint rice etc. To plant mint leaves you do not need any special seeds. Simply after you buy and remove the leaves, preserve the stem which has roots on it. Push the stem into a mud pot and water it everyday as its summers now after a few days you will see tiny leaves appearing on the stem and they will begin to flourish. Mint is very good for digestion and works as a great detoxificant.
So here is how to make Mango Mint Relish
Mango Mint Relish
- Totapuri Raw Mangoes medium size - 2
- Ripe Alphonso Mango medium size - 1
- Bunch of mint leaves / pudina - 1
- Chill water - 5 cups
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder - ½ tsp
- Sugar - ½ cup
- Wash, peel and cut the raw mangoes and ripe mango into pieces .
- Wash and clean mint leaves.
- Grind the mangoes, sugar and mint leaves with 1 cup of water into a pulp in a mixi.
- Filter the pulp using a sieve.
- Add salt, black salt and pepper powder and mix well.
- Finally add remaining water and stir until all blends well and serve .
- Similar way you can try making Guava and Mint juice.
- Sweetness can be adjusted in any juice as per ones taste.