Kadhai Kathal…Well, while sharing this recipe I have already stuffed myself one plate and yet not satisfied. This is quite a famous dish in the eastern region and kathal or Jack Fruit being a seasonal fruit, its demand is on higher side presently. I am sure even if you have never tried this recipe, you will give it a try and once you like it you will keep trying it because you will love it. Here is how to make it.
- Kathal (raw jackfruit, peeled and cut) - 250 g
- Bay leaf - 1
- Dried red chilli - 1
- Big size onion ( Grated ) - 3
- Onion chopped - 1
- Green chillies - 3-4
- Ginger-garlic paste - 3 tbsp
- Tomato puree - 1 cup
- Jeera powder - 1 tbsp
- Dhaniya powder - 1 tbsp
- Chilli powder - 1 tbsp
- Salt - 2 tbsp
- Haldi - 1 tbsp
- Garam masala - 1 tbsp
- Boil the jackfruit in cooker with a single whistle.
- Heat 7-8 tbsp oil in a pan (use more oil as kathal absorb more oil)
- Add bay leaf and then dried red chilli.
- Then add green chillies, chopped onion, and stir it until it changes the colour
- Add onion paste, ginger-garlic paste, jeera & dhaniya powder, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder and stir it until the oil starts coming out.
- Add the tomato puree and cook it for another 2 minutes.
- Add garam masala and the boiled jackfruits
- Keep the gas at medium flame and let it cook without cover, occasionally stir
- After 10 minutes the oil starts coming out and the kathal looks masala coated
- Add little water and cook for another 1 minute on a higher flame
- Add coriander leaves and switch off the gas, to serve it hot with chapatti, puri or rice.
You might also like