Parties and festive meals are incomplete without starters. Often, for snacks as well, you feel like making different munchies as well, no? If you second the same with me, then do call dibs on canape. FYI, canape is a piece of bread or pastry which is topped with savoury ingredients. They are easy to be served to guests and have a quick turn around time like Potato and Cheese Balls. Instead of making the base of bread for canape, I came up with Bottle Gourd Canape for a recent party that I had thrown. Bottle Gourd Canape are made by frying roundels of bottle gourd by coating it with spices, rice and semolina mix and finally, it is topped with the hung curd mix. The crunchy base of Bottle Gourd Canape goes superbly with the creamy topping. Even the kids would instantly eat it without that Bottle Gourd Canape is made from bottle gourd. So, make Bottle Gourd Canape for parties or you could serve it for snacks! Here’s its recipe:
Bottle Gourd Canape
- Bottle gourd thick roundels - 6
- Rice flour - 4 tbsp
- Semolina - 4 tbsp
- Red chilli powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Fennel powder - 1 and ½ tsp
- Coriander powder - 4 tsp
- Garam masala - 1 and ½ tsp
- Oil to shallow fry - 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Thick green chutney - 2-3 tsp
- Hung curd - 4-5 tbsp
- Tomato pieces to garnish
- Mix all masalas with salt in a plate.
- Mix together rice flour and semolina.
- Coat bottle gourd roundels in masala mixture first and then coat in rice flour and semolina.
- Shallow fry in hot oil from one side till it turns crisp and golden brown.
- Flip and similarly cook from other side.
- Now, mix together hung curd and green chutney together.
- Add salt if required.
- Remember, hung curd should not become too much watery after adding green chutney.
- So, the green chutney consistency should also be thick.
- Place fried bottle gourd roundels on a plate.
- Fill the hung curd mixture in a piping bag.
- Pipe it on those roundels and garnish with tomato pieces.
This recipe is a part of WATeaTimeSnacks recipe contest in collaboration with Typhoo Tea.