Every region has a speciality when it comes to a rice-based dish. Karnataka also has its signature dish called Bisibele Bhat. Spicy, flavourful, this dish took over my senses from the day I tasted it in a restaurant. Impressed by its taste, I thought of making it at home as I had already prepared Bisibele Bhat Masala Powder well in advance. This masala is available in markets as well but the homemade one has a way better taste, trust me! Once you are set with this masala, making this dish is pretty sorted as you would just need to cook it up with rice, tuvar dal, veggies and some spices.
It is a treat to relish piping hot Bisibele Bhat with a bowl of creamy raita. Also, serving it for lunch or dinner guarantees an amazing experience. Tempted to try it? Read its recipe then:
- Tuvar dal - 1 and ½ cup
- Rice - 1 cup
- Vegetables - 1 and ½ cup ( I used a mix of chopped carrot, peas, cauliflower, radish, beans and lauki )
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Bisibele bhat masala powder - 4-5 tbsp
- Tamarind paste - 2 tsp
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Roasted cashew nuts - 10 12 ( Broken )
- Wash and soak dal and rice in 4 cups of water for 20 minutes.
- Drain the water and add them in pressure cooker along with 6 cups of water, vegetables, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook until dal and rice are done.
- Remove the lid once the pressure is released and add bisibele bhat masala powder and tamarind paste and mix well.
- Add more water if required.
- It should be of Khichdi like consistency.
- Pour ghee on top and garnish with roasted cashew nuts.
- Serve hot.