Bihari Chakka Bhaji…From our childhood we have seen this dish cooked in community kitchen. All bihari women keeps fast of 30 hrs for their children, the festival is known as ” jeetiya”. After 24 hrs of the fast at midnight all the women starts cutting vegetables and its an eloborate affair as it takes 4-5 hrs altogether to cook this 25 kgs of sabzi for 51 households. Its a prasaad to be taken with puris in the morning breaking their fast. It was our sheer delight to see all the buas , maasis, chachis, tais working and singing together and cutting the vegetables and cooking it later as a family. Next morning we children demand holiday from school as we were watching them preparing the food.. 🙂
This prasaad tastes awesome. Try it. Here is how to make it.
Bihari Chakka Bhaji
- 300 gm of each potato,pumpkin, parwal, brinjal cut into cubes, red spinach leaves finely chopped
- Kala Chana soaked overnight. - 1 cup
- Ginger finely chopped - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Salt - 2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 2 tbsp
- Cumin powder - 2 tbsp
- Chilly powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1tsp
- Bay leaves - 2
- Dry red chilly - 2
- Pachforan( mix of methi, mustard, black cumin, ajwain, saunf) - 1 tsp
- Refined oil/mustard oil - ¼ cup
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadahi.
- Put pachforan, bay leaves and dry red chillies into it.
- Add potato and fry it for 2 min. Then add chana into it.
- Fry for another 2 min.
- Add brinjal into it. Fry till water absorbs.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in separate kadahi. Put sugar and ginger and fry for 2 min.
- Add parwal and pumpkin into it and fry till brown.
- Now add this to the previous kadahi.
- Now roast the spices on the tawa lightly except turmeric.
- Add this to the browned vegetables.
- Add turmeric, salt and the red spinach leaves.
- Now mix all the vegetables together.
- Cover it for 15 min. or till all the water absorbed.
- No need to add water as red spinach leaves plenty of water.
- Now place it in a nice bowl and serve with hot puris/rice.
You might also like